You have an enemy. His goal is to keep you from entering a covenant relationship with God.
However, once you do, his goal changes. He wants to make you doubt your identity, doubt God’s ability and keep you from walking in your purpose.
He changes his accusations against you in the spiritual realm from not belonging to God to not believing God’s Word. He goes from accusing you of not being under the blood to operating as if you weren’t or doubting the power of it. He wants to weaken your testimony. He wants you to be full of doubt and unbelief.
The Bible says …
“And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony, and they did not love their lives to the death.” (Rev. 12:11).
The blood of Jesus has the power to expunge sin—past, present and future—as if it was never there. Only God can do that.
Why You Need to Plead the Blood of Jesus
As you pray in the courts of heaven, the enemy’s accusations can get craftier. Your prayers are powerful and effective, and he attempts to stop your prayers from getting answered. Satan is a legalist, and he uses things in your past, your family’s past, weaknesses and insecurities to charge you of wrongdoing, stopping your breakthrough from getting through.
You aren’t perfect, but God is. Jesus bled so that you can live out of His righteousness, not your wrongdoing.
Pleading the blood of Jesus allows you to activate your covenant relationship with the Lord in the spiritual realm. Hebrews 10:19-23 says Jesus’ blood paid the price so that we could have access to God, entering into the holy of holies.
What Does Jesus’ Blood Do?
1. It draws you near to the Lord. “Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double-minded” (James 4:8).
2. It washes away your sin. “But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin” (1 John 1:7).
3. It grants you forgiveness. “If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness” (1 John 1:9).
4. It gives you eternal life. “For the life of the flesh is in the blood, and I have given it to you upon the altar to make atonement for your souls; for it is the blood that makes atonement for the soul” (Lev. 17:11)
5. It heals you. “But He was wounded for our transgressions, He was bruised for our iniquities; the chastisement for our peace was upon Him, and by His stripes we are healed” (Isa. 53:5).
6. It gives you access to God. “… which had the golden censer and the ark of the covenant overlaid on all sides with gold, in which were the golden pot that had the manna, Aaron’s rod that budded and the tablets of the covenant…” (Heb. 9:4).
7. It gives you peace. “… and by Him to reconcile all things to Himself, by Him, whether things on earth or things in heaven, having made peace through the blood of His cross” (Col. 1:20).
8. It redeems you. “In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of His grace” (Eph. 1:7).
9. It speaks on your behalf. “To Jesus the Mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling that speaks better things than that of Abel” (Heb. 12:24).
As you can see, the blood is powerful and effective! So then, when you plead it in your prayers, they become powerful and effective.
Here’s How to Plead the Blood
Enter the heavenly courts. Declare God is the Just Judge and thank Him for life and the blood of Jesus.
“Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.”—1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
Repent of what the Spirit brings to mind. Acknowledge that Jesus shed His blood for you while you were still a sinner and established a relationship between you and the Lord. “If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness” (1 John 1:8-9).
Remind Him of His will as it is written in the Word. “So shall My word be that goes forth from My mouth; it shall not return to Me void, but it shall accomplish what I please, and it shall prosper in the thing for which I sent it.” (Isa. 55:11).
State your exact need and plead the blood of Jesus over it. “Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God …” (Phil. 4:6).
Request God to carry out His will through His warring angels. Come into agreement with Zechariah 4:6 that it won’t be done by might or power, but by His Spirit. “‘Not by might nor by power, but by My Spirit,’ says the Lord of hosts” (Zech. 4:6).
Stop allowing the enemy to steal, kill and destroy in your life. Ask the Holy Spirit to reveal anything in your heart that is double-minded and repent of it. Activate and plead the blood of Jesus in the courts of heaven. It will change your prayer life.
Curt Landry, founder of Curt Landry Ministries, and his wife, Christie, travel extensively, preaching and teaching about the Jewish roots of the Christian faith. Together, their passion is to empower families to live and leave Kingdom legacies and understand their own personal heritage.